Search RJ's Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Going to the Well Retreat!

Melissa and I are pretty excited to go to the Well retreat in May. It will be our first time going to the Well retreat because the last two years we have been busy and unavailable to go. This time, however, will be a time of refreshment and sanctified fun among the body of Christ at Harvest. Not having to technically serve and administrate will be liberating for us during the weekend because of all the labor we do throughout the regular week for the church. With my busy and unorthodox schedule these days, I have not been able to see a lot of my brothers and sisters who go to the Well ministry. I am looking forward to spending a weekend away from the trials and busyness of life in the Inland Empire and retreat to the mountain top of refuge.

Most Christians automatically think of Moses and how he spent time on Mount Sinai 40 years with God for spiritual growth and preparation to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. When I think of a mountain, however, I of the Gospels. I think of the ministry of Jesus and how he did so many incredible things on mountains (i.e. Calling the 12 Disciples, Sermon on the Mount, Feeding the 5000, Transfiguration, etc.) specifically for spiritual refreshment and revitalization.

Matthew describes Jesus going on a hike up a mountain to be with the Father. 
Matthew 14:23 says, "And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there."

Mark describes Jesus going on a retreat to be with the Father.
Mark 1:35-37 says, "Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer. Simon and his companions searched for him. When they found him, they said, “Everyone is looking for you.” He replied, “Let us go elsewhere, into the surrounding villages, so that I can preach there too. For that is what I came out here to do.”


Interesting to note, in Mark 1:35 the verb for prayer is "the imperfect προσηύχετο (Gk. proshuceto)," which implies some duration to the prayer of Jesus. Therefore his prayer and meditation was an extended time of enduring supplication to the Father for strength and peace. Also, the word for "deserted place" is literally "wilderness (Gk. eremos)." I am expecting the Lord to speak to Melissa and I and refresh our hearts for the ministry he has called us to do and for future big plans this year. My good brother Daniel Hooper will be teaching, and also Rick Holland from John MacArthur's church will be guest speaking! I cannot wait to hear what they have to share in the Scriptures. I will be looking forward to what God wants to teach Melissa and I while on the mountain top worshiping him in spirit and truth. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?