Search RJ's Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Two Week Absence - John 3:30

Over the past two weeks, I have been extremely busy! It has been two long weeks since I posted my last blog entry because I have been involved in many things. I have scheduled to post entries over the next few weeks to share all of the things I have been doing.
Everything that has been going on over the past few weeks has made me consider and remember one major theological theme close to my heart - I AM SECOND. This organization has been inspirational to remind me to always follow the Lord (as I wear a bracelet with the slogan "I AM SECOND" wrapped around it). In John 3, one of the greatest disciples records a shocking statement by one of the greatest preachers in the Bible. John the Baptist was fulfilling his ministry when all of a sudden Jesus began his greater ministry of the gospel (cf. John 3:16-17). John the Baptist understood he has now fulfilled his purpose in life and said, "He [Jesus] must increase, and I [John] must decrease" (John 3:30). This is a sociological reversal to some, because the famous prophet in the wilderness has now subjected himself to a non-famous prophet in the city (who would one day become the most famous person in history as the Savior of the World, the Lord Jesus Christ). John the Baptist correctly identified his place before the God. He knew Jesus was the Son of God, and following Jesus in every capacity was the ulitimate goal that led unto salvation. Therefore, John figuratively says, "Everything in my life is secondary. I am second, compared to the Lord Jesus Christ."

Immediate reflections on this short Scripture made me analyze a few points in respect to John being "second." John's ministry was second (and was fulfilled by preparing the way of the Lord) compared to Jesus' greater ministry. John's message of baptism was second in significance to Jesus' message of the gospel. John's followers were told to follow him second, and called to follow Jesus first. It is evident that John's theological perspective changed when he met Jesus and worshiped him. He not just understood truth but practically implemented this truth in his life without hesitation. John said he "needed to decrease" and Jesus "needed to increase" in his life. Thus, his life after the baptism of Jesus was to herald the gospel and point everyone to the one who is worthy as he did when he saw Jesus come to him, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29).

What I learned over the past few weeks is that I need to continually remind myself and consider this theological reflection in my life. I realized that I need to put the Lord not just first in all things, but give him preeminence because he has preeminence over all, "And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent" (Col. 1:18). Just as John understood Jesus was greater compared to everything else, I need to do the same. My needs, wants, and desires need to be secondary to the gospel. My priorities, relationships, and life need to secondary to the will of God. Everything in my life needs to be secondary. RJ needs to be second, compared to the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?