Search RJ's Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Studying and Preaching Through the Book of Romans

I have been blessed to have the opportunity to teach through the book of Romans with the "Galatians 6:1 Ministry" at Harvest. On Thursday nights, a men's accountability group comes together to hear the gospel and grow together through Bible study, group time, and prayer. My brother and I were asked several years ago to guest speak at the ministry, and since then, we have loved going there to share the gospel. This year, they asked me to join the teaching rotation. Praise the Lord!


At this moment, "The Group" (as they call the study) is going through the book of Romans one chapter per week. I get the pleasure of teaching multiple times, so I took it upon myself to do a personal study through Romans. Since the letter is theologically packed with truth and fulfillment based on the words and works of Christ, I decided to get two commentaries to assist me. I was encouraged at CBU by my professors to never buy sets of commentaries, but rather buy a set of different commentary books on whatever I am teaching. This way, you build a healthy library and your money it put into your current studies instead of spread out very abroad (even though there is nothing wrong with buying a commentary set!). I have done this and have found it extremely fruitful, resourceful, and wise.



Here are the two commentaries that I decided to buy to assist my studying and preaching through the book of Romans. Both are exegetical commentaries (which I highly recommend). One is a technical approach to the meaning of the text (Schreiner), and the other is more of a biblical theology (Talbert). I have learned so much, and enjoy reading these commentaries as if I was in seminary taking a course on Romans. Good reads always lead to good application!

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
(Romans 15:4)

No comments:

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?