Search RJ's Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Scriptures For a Successful Surgery

Tonight i started my blogspot. The last several days have been long. My wonderful girlfriend Melissa had her surgery on Wednesday and it was successful! She is recovering right now, so make sure to pray for her to heal quickly, please! Also, pray for me to have strength and that i stay focused on Christ and not the circumstances.

We rejoice in the fact that the Lord did a mighty work! We do not understand why she had this tumor, but God has told us in His word the reason why. As i was reading through the Gospel of John, i came across two verses that spoke to me boldly concerning why Melissa had this tumor, or why she had to go through this experience.

As the disciples were debating among each other on whether or not the blind man was cursed because of his disability, they asked Jesus if he had sinned or if his parents had sinned regarding this man's blindness. Jesus responded "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him." (John 9:3)

Two chapters later, instead of dealing with the disciples, Jesus is now with Mary and Martha, and they express emotionally to Jesus that Lazarus was really sick. They were very weary but when Jesus heard that, He said, "This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it." (John 11:4)

God clearly says in his word that we have disease, disabilities, and disorders because of sin.(see Genesis 3:16-24, Isaiah 24:5, Romans 3:23, 8:20-22) However, Jesus declares that these things are not to punish us, but to bring Him praise through the circumstances. "Neither her or her parents have sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in Melissa," Jesus explains. "This tumor is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it," Jesus encourages. What a comfort. The Lord showed these verses to me while i was at the doctors office waiting to hear and see the MRI results before her surgery this summer.

This surgery was a calling to gather Melissa's family and friends together and pray through tough times and difficult days. Melissa's doctor is an awesome godly man who prayed for us before, during, and after the surgery! What a blessing that was, and a great witness too. He was amazed at the size of her tumor, and one day when she has kids, others will be amazed as well. To God be the glory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read with interest your blog...I started to read it when I was reading about Harvey Arthur's passing and clicked on your blog about it. Then I read about your girlfriend's surgery...since I had a fibroid filled uterus removed this fall...around the same time as your Melissa...
You really held on to the Lord through this and your faith shines through...her having a growth this large at her age is unusual...I just wanted to encourage you both to try to have kids right away after you get married...I know its in the Lord's hands...but fibroid tumors grow back and the older you get the bigger they can become.

I was diagnosed with them in my early 30s...but may have had them sooner...I had very large tumor removed in my mid 30s (9 pounds) and then this fall I had a 20 pound uterus...

Why the wait? We so wanted children...so wanted them....we had one late term miscarriage (I was 21 weeks a long)...and after that with my fibroids had difficulties....

One thing I just want to encourage you about and is the reason I wrote...maybe you will be blessed with a child...many women with fiborids go on to have kids....but there is a reality that it may not happen...and that to is something the Lord can be glorified in to....not getting a dream like that is not an easy road...and it has caused me and my husband to depend more deeply on the Lord to bear it...and to look to Him with what to do.

I am not saying that to discourage you...but to encourage you to put it in His hands...maybe you feel the Lord has shown you you will have kids...and it truly may be how He wants to be glorified...just a reminder that He can be glorified in the road of unanswered dreams like this, too.

God bless you both with a happy life together...I know He will because you both love Him and that is such a great blessing in marriage

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?