Friday, April 16, 2010
GO! Thoughts on Making Disciples in Jesus Name...
Matthew 28:19-20, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Note the language. There is ONE imperative in the Greek and that is "make disciples." It is followed by three particles "go, baptizing, and teaching." The NET Bible textual notes put it like this:
"Go…baptize…teach' are participles modifying the imperative verb 'make disciples.' According to ExSyn645 the first participle (πορευθέντες, poreuqentes, 'Go'). This means that semantically the action of 'going' is commanded, just as “making disciples' is."
Here are some thoughts I have considered when it comes to doing ministry. It takes a lot to GO in Jesus name and make disciples. It is a serious life giving effort for the cause of Jesus Christ and him crucified. However, every believer is called to do it. Some do missions, and others are mothers. Many are deacons, and others are dads. Every pastor makes disciples, and so are all believers. The first thing a believers needs in order to go is a deep relationship with Jesus, grounded on God's platform of truth in the Word of God.
1. To GO requries being a disciple of Christ.
2. To GO requires being a person of prayer.
3. To GO requires being a person of faith.
4. To GO requires being a doer of the Word.
5. To GO requires being a Spirit-filled leader.
6. To GO requires being a uncompromising leader.
7. To GO requires being a servant and shepherd leader.
8. To GO requires being a witness for the return of Christ.