Search RJ's Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

All I Want To Do - Acts 6:4

The other day I was asked by a few people, "What do you want to do?" Initially, I did not know what they meant. However, I assumed they were asking what I would be doing in the future. That was precisely the question. They wanted to know if I wanted to go into ministry since I have been serving at my church for many years with a joyful servant's heart. I paused and gave them my answer.

My answer was of course a positive one. I shared with them that my heart has been compelled by the gospel. Thus, with the rest of my life I want to primarily invest in all of my efforts to preach the Word of God in ministry, and teach the Word of God in education (as I mentioned my previous post, Back To Blogging!). In some of my older posts, it seems to read as if I do not want to be in full-time ministry, which is not true. I want to do more than just ministry when the opportunity presents itself. I want to teach the Bible academically at either a middle school, high school, or university as well. My desire is to educate students [and adults] with the Scriptures from the pulpit and in the classroom. In ten years, I pray and hope to see my long term goals come to life as a pastor and/or professor in the community. We will see what the God's will is for my wife and I!

The verse below perfectly, simplistically, and accurately defines all I want to do:
Acts 6:4, "But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

The apostles were devoted. The apostles were devoted to prayer. The apostles were devoted to ministry. The apostles were devoted to the Word of God. Those who are devoted to "prayer" and the "ministry of the word" find themselves making right choices, living godly examples, and communicating truth to those around them as the apostles did. This is what I want to do. Amen!

No comments:

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?