Search RJ's Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Series - Seven Doctrines for a Solid Faith

Last year in the Fall, the Lord spoke to my heart to teach a seven part series on the seven most important doctrines I believe every Christians (specifically High School students) should know. No one on earth can ignore the superiority and splendor of Jesus Christ. That is why I believe teaching believers the most important things to know about Christ is essential because people all over the world have different perspectives and ideologies. John MacArtur's book The Jesus You Can't Ignore is a great book pointing out Jesus was not some moral teacher, lover of everyone, or a political historic jewish man who wanted the best for his people. He declares the seriousness of Christ's purpose, authority, works, and reign over everything in the Gospels. This book (even though I have not finished it yet!) set the stage for this series on the seven most important doctrines to know about Christ for a solid faith. The entire Christian faith is solely about Jesus Christ and him crucified.

The theme verse that probed this desired in my heart is Titus 1:9. Paul is teaching Titus to teach younger followers to, "holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict." This command was given by Paul to Titus to establish dischipleship in Crete where Titus was pastoring. The emphasis was to produce an unshakable and solid faith in those younger believers so they could stand strong for the gospel of Jesus Christ in the 1st century where persecution, philosophy, and paganism was everywhere.

This lead me to think of all the attacks Christianity receives from progressive secularism and postmodernism. I thought of what key foundational beliefs (after our Essentials study with Pastor Greg) would someone need to know emphatically to have an solid faith. As I read my Bible and theology/doctrine books, I came up with seven core doctrines (teachings Gk. didaskalia) that are necessary and essential for believers to know. I know from personal experience that knowing the truth of these doctrines, my faith has been solid because I was able to defend and give a reason for the hope that lies within me, and refute the false beliefs of others contrary to Scripture, and convey the accurate truth of Scripture (1 Peter 3:15).

Let me know what you think! I will be writing more on this later. Below are the seven points of the message.


Seven Doctrines For a Solid Faith
1. Creation - God created the heavens and the earth.
2. Inspiration of Scripture - The word of God is truth.
3. Deity of Christ - Jesus is God in person and power.
4. Incarnation of Christ - Jesus became flesh, born through the virgin conception.
5. Atonement of Christ - Jesus paid the penalty of our sin on the cross.
6. Resurrection of Christ - Jesus rose again from the grave conquering death and providing eternal life.
7. Second Coming of Christ - Jesus is coming back and preparing a place for us in his heavenly kingdom.

No comments:

What is your favorite subject in Christian Studies?